Aim of the activity
This activity is aimed at improving children’s attitude towards their parent’s
Preparation for the activity
A large sheet of paper, pens and crayons.
1. Set up a large paper on an easel, the floor or a table depending on availability.
2. Ask your child to paint what they feel when they think about speaking in
3. If needed, support your children. For example if the child asks what do I
do, the parent can say how does the language sound to you, is it dark
colours, happy colours, what do you feel?
4. Let them interpret what that looks like and let them create.
5. Feel free to put on some music in your language in the background to set
the mood for the exercise.
6. If you have room, join in.
7. If time allows talk about the paintings afterwards and let them tell you
what they were feeling.
Significant benefit of the activity
This activity helps to improve children’s attitude towards their parent’s languages.
Source of the activity
Multilingual Families Project